Why should I service my car’s air conditioning?
Why do you have your engine serviced on a regular basis? Because they have many moving parts that need to be constantly lubricated with the correct quantity and quality of oil. Filters need to be changed as these protect the engine from foreign particles.
So we service A/C systems for exactly the same reasons we service engines! The A/C system is mainly mechanical with many moving parts in the compressor and a constant flow of oil and refrigerant around the system. If the refrigerant quantity is reduced by 15% due to natural seepage for example, then the oil returned to the compressor will also be reduced by the same quantity: this leads to premature failure of the compressor.
The A/C system also incorporates filters in the drier or accumulator, depending on the system type. Again these need to be replaced regularly. Most system manufacturers recommend once every 2 years, and it is important to check the refrigerant level every 12 months.
Sibot Services offer an annual air conditioning health-check which can include:
- Visual inspection of the system
- Identification of the refrigerant in the system and its purity
- Testing for air content in the system
- Performance test of the system
- Leak test – with electronic sniffer or Ultra Violet
- Drive belt tension
- Checking electrical connections
- Checking compressor mountings
- Checking ‘P’ clips and mountings on pipe work and under bonnet components
- Checking auxiliary fan operation
Further to this the following points can be included in a service from Sibot Services:
- Add UV dye if there is none already in the system
- Treat the evaporator with an anti-bacterial spray
- Remove and check quantity of refrigerant and replenish with correct quantity
- If an oil has been removed, replace with fresh oil of the same viscosity
- Jet wash condenser of any debris
- Evacuate system for 30-45 minutes before recharging to check for leaks
Sibot Services recommend that a full service should be carried out once every 2 years which should include all of the above and fitting a new Drier / Accumulator.